Marc Rougeau e-mailed me from Berkeley to say that Martin Coyle took a flight to the UK yesterday and that he should be arriving today. The Berkeley community were all sad to see him go. Marc says that Martin has really been a wonderful addition to the community.
Everyone was hoping that he would stay the whole year, although from the beginning he made it clear that he was enrolled in a sabbatical program at Weston, with the Jesuits near Boston College. This is really the style of the Salesians from the UK who have come to ISS -- more than half of them do one semester with us and then a semester elsewhere, in a program that appeals to them.
This brings we to think again and ask: how do we see the ISS? Is it a sabbatical program? Is it a formative program for those who will do work in formation or with the Salesian Family on their return to their provinces? In fact, when the ISS opened way back in 1984, it was called a "directors' formation course". It was geared toward Salesians priests mainly who were between 5 and 10 years ordained and who were being destined by their provinces to roles of leadership. Participation quickly shifted to older men… and try as we might to poll provincials and redirect the program towards sabbatical, it had never really been seen as such my the provinces.
What is it seen as?
I don't know. We'll have to think of it again, I'm sure. But I am becoming convinced that the need for giving greater attention to Salesian topics is more crucial than ever. This seems to be on the mind of Fr Pascual Chavez as well. His call to "re-launch with Don Bosco" and all that he spoke to us about on his visit last week says that the congregation must really steep itself again in the founding experience and the founding purpose: to save souls and serve God alone. Can the ISS be a part of this?
This blog began when in Rome in September 2005 for a research sabbatical. At the end of that academic year I returned to Berkeley but not for long. I now commute between Italy and California, teaching theology on two faculties. Contrary to popular belief, Rome is not so institutional, and Berkeley is not so radical. I blog impressions and reflections as I alternate living on the northside of the Eternal City and the northside of Cal … and perhaps on the outskirts of history.
No comments:
Post a Comment