Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Simple but striking

The pope had a great message at the Midnight Mass. I did not watch it on television this year because I was very tired after our own Night Mass of 22.30 at the UPS. However, I did see the message online this morning when I woke up. Even now, I can hear the church bells of the five surrounding parishes ringing out the masses hour-by-hour on this Christmas, so it is a very participated kind of feel to being in Rome for Christmas. I mean, the decorations are minimal, but the sounds are everywhere.

Back to Pope Benedict, the core of his message was simple but striking. He said, commenting on John's gospel, that Jesus came and his own did not accept him, but those at the stable did accept and welcome him… and so God is not discouraged, he keeps trying even if he has to come in through the stable. It was a homey way to say it all and quite beautiful…

All of this is part of the message we want to send when we say, quite simply:

Happy Christmas!
.

No comments: