Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Riconoscente

Today we had the visit of Cardinal Raffaele Farina, accompanied by Cardinal Bertone. I had thought there would be a conference or gathering or something in that line (which seems to the the ordinary practice on such occasions). Instead it was a special dinner reception for invited guests (read the directors and deans, and University leadership). Happily, those of us left in the community dining rooms shared the same menu, even if we were not at the reception.

Don Farina (we are still calling him that) came to our community during the meal. He greeted people individually with much affection. The director of the Gesù Maestro community, Jozef Struz', had words of welcome that were just as spontaneous as the new cardinal's appearance in your community space. With sincere joy, don Strus' said: “We are all very happy for you — happy for all that you do and happy that you are now cardinal.”

To this, don Farina responded: “Oh, thanks: just let us all hope that I don’t mess up!”

As soon as our laughter subsided, don Strus' invited “his eminence” to come back to celebrate a liturgy with us, and have a meal with our group alone… seeing also that for many years, don Farina had been himself a member of the Gesù Maestro community. To all of this, the new eminence promised: “As soon as everything calms down, I will certainly come and be with you.”

It was a happy moment and one that was moving as well. Raffaele Farina was taking time to move from person to person, to shake hands, or hug, or kiss on both cheeks, as Italians are wont to do, in a very warm and affectionate way. I do not know what happened in the main dining room during the reception banquet (pranzo contemplato), but my experience was that I found Cardinal Farina to be his regular self: simple, modest, gentle, affectionate, and somehow gratefully attentive to his friends and confreres. The italian word is riconoscente, I would think.

No comments: