Monday, December 24, 2007

Vigilia


Christmas Eve: the big preparation day is upon us - the clams are no longer safe even in their shells… and this morning as I walked in the plaza outside the house where I'm staying, I could hear the Neopolitan accents of those who crowded into the fish-vendor's open shop… a real line-up! Made me think of family back in California and all that is happening today among the Nuzzo, the Kasal and the Boenzi departments. My thoughts go out to all these dear ones, that they may enjoy a very happy celebration, but especially a very blessed Christmas!

The communities here are all down in numbers. Many went to parishes to help with the holidays; a few went to spend time with they families, especially those with elder parents. We are talking here about the Europeans, of course. I presided at the morning liturgy in the Gesù Maestro Community and we were only 9 of the communities, with three women from the neighborhood joining us.

This evenng at 18.30 we have Vespers and then the evening meal anticipated to 19.00. The Night Mass for Christmas is set for 22.30.

For the rest, I spent the day catching up on e-mails also to send greetings and all such things as that… and my trip to the local delicatessan, were I bought some American whisky as a gift for the community (I'll bring that out tomorrow and place it on the gift table in the dining room).

And for spiritual thoughts this Christmas? Many little greetings and e-mails especially have brought some wonderful reflections, artwork, powerpoints… This has been very refreshing.

And so this is Christmas 2007, about to appear!

No comments: