My cousin Michele Nuzzo, with whom I shared a playpen in my earliest infancy, sent me a great little Christmas greeting, full of family memories. I was looking for some photographs that I had scanned of our early days… but it seems that they are not on this computer. Instead I can post a photograph that I took with my own first camera in 1963, of the Nuzzo-Boenzi family together on a Sunday evening in the Nuzzo home in Westchester. The only one not in the photo is me, because I took this snapshot.
Well, back to Michele's Christmas greeting. She tells of memories of Christmas past - memories that are happy and funny for those of us who were there. They are probably useless to anyone else. Yet, these are the events that forged our identities: I am sure of it.
Having said that, and with a lot of nostalgia, I just feel that it is good to report a portion of Michele's memory-message here.
I talked to Donna and she does not remember back this far, so you are probably the only cousin with a shared memory of Christmas at Halldale.
I remember the long dining table, lobster (I always got in trouble for sucking the lemons), presents under the tree in the main living room and those pictures Nona had on the walls---Italian stillife paintings of huge flowers and pieces of fruit. These predate the lamp base with the macaroni sprayed gold (at the apartments in Gardena). That's where we had dinner with the Filipino girls, tee hee hee.
I also remember Christmas Eve dinners in Bellflower with card tables everywhere, your dad spooning out the linguini and going to hear him sing at Midnight Mass. Then there was Christmas Eve caroling around the trailer park with Sal Gray jingling his keys to "We wish you a Merry Christmas...."
No comments:
Post a Comment