Monday, March 12, 2007

Two down, seven to go

After almost two full days of prep, I taught the first two periods of class this afternoon. We had to iron out the time table, since there are students from three different programs. And I got them though a PowerPoint. I am not confident that I was able to convey anything to them. Really, this is not my material.

While I had expected to teach again for two hours on Thursday, I will, instead, teach for one period tomorrow. As it is, we went for nearly three periods today, and tomorrow will make four. I think that this is enough. The students also want to avoid too many afternoon classes. It looks like they have class three afternoons each week. If we can avoid Thursday afternoons, they won't have to make it four.

So, I need to get my act together tomorrow… and I need to start talking to my licentiate students: John, Virgilio and Sebastian. I've got a lot to do, it looks like.

With all this content, printed up the class notes that Jacques Schepens had e-mailed me. I had to do a lot of formatting, so that took a good deal of time both last week and through the weekend. As fate would have it, all three photocopy machines broke down over the weekend, so my students won't have the bound copies until Thursday (which is the day that I thought I'd meet them next). This makes tomorrow's class a bit iffy, as I was counting on two more days for preparation.

Beyond this little problem, I did my negotiating for library usage and was also able to settle on a better classroom. Jarek, the registrar of the university, generously gave me one of the newly equipped smart classrooms. It looks like things will work out better for my AV presentations and such in Classroom 4, because the project is built into the room and you can darken the windows. That's good news. None of this is possible in Classroom 9, which is the normal room for doing spirituality.

Well, we'll se how it works out tomorrow.

No comments: