
This evening I attended the defense of a doctoral dissertation by Carl Mario Sultana. Carl Mario is a young priest from the Archiocese of Malta, and he has done his studies in youth ministry and catechetics here at the Salesian Pontifical University. We became friends last year when I was a member of the Don Rua community
Carl Mario did his research and wrote his dissertation on a Maltese figure, Gorg Preca, who brought catechesis to a strong level, advanced biblical studies and worked for bringing laity into active and important posts of apostolate in the Church.
Well, Carl Mario did brilliantly: summa cum laude. However, it was an easy defense: both his thesis director and the second reader were so enthusiastic with the written presentation of his dissertation that they did not ask him questions but enthused over his work. I couldn't help smiling as Prof don Mario Cimosa went over every detail with such excitement that I began to believe that I was at a book presentation rather than a defense! However, I realized that I was not sitting at Barnes and Noble but in Sala Marolla at the UPS -- so that was my reality check.
Still, I kept thinking throughout the presentation that it would be good to connect the church in Malta with the church in Guam: both islands of Catholicism in a sea of modernism, isolated and different from their distant neighbors and the continent/mainland. As an interested outsider who has visited both islands and who has had the opportunity to works with priests and laity in those local churches, I find some interesting simularities, and I am guessing that there would be a benefit in connecting.
My action-step will be to contact my past pupil, Fred Tenorio Rodriguez, in Guam, and let him know of this dissertation defense as I suggest that he have the archdiocese invite Carl Mario to Guam for some resourcing to the catechists and parishes. At least, that's what I'm thinking I need to do. I do love when things connect!
No comments:
Post a Comment