Sunday, March 11, 2007

Adjusting and readjusting



When I woke up this morning, I really didn't know where I was for the first few moments. Amazing, since this trip back to Italy has been nearly the only thing on my mind for the last three months. Of course, I'm staying in a different part of the university and so, in that respect, my surroundings are new and different. My room is in the Philosophy Building, with a window overlooking the inner courtyard of the university.

I did not have any trouble sleeping through the night, which is also a difference. Jet-lag usually has me waking five times and always earlier. Come to think of it, I've been waking five time every night at home in Berkeley… Which may mean that my body is still used to the Italian time frame and I live in perpetual jet-lag when I'm in California. Now that is a scary thought!

As I mentioned yesterday, I am to be a member of the community of Gesù Maestro, which is one of the communities of professors. Jozef Strus' is the director, and it was he who was my director 17 years ago when I came to the UPS for the first time to begin studies on my licentiate. Of course, Tom Prendiville was my provincial superior at that time and now he is my director in Berkeley. It seems that no matter what the theatre, I'm playing with the same cast of actors.

For the bulk of the day I have been working on notes for the classes that I begin to teach tomorrow. I don't feel prepared, but at least I can give them a fist full of notes.

No comments: