Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Syllabi, commitments, deadlines

Last night I found a series of e-mails regarding the theology courses to be taught at DSPT in Summer 2007.

Yes, I did say that I could be available after Michael Sweeney asked me several times. And yes, I did clear it with the team at Don Bosco Hall (although I brought it up at the end of one of our lengthy meetings and they were perhaps all comatose when they said "yes" to me on this issue.

Now, the other professors (all non-Dominicans) who will be teaching are speaking of class-session time, expectations, duration. It is going to be serious business rather than a summer enrichment type of thing.

As I prepare my syllabus, I am beginning to think that it will be useful to run copies by the other two professors (John Berkman and Marianne Farina). It might be helpful if we help each other check our materials in terms of realistic expectations.

The course that I will be teaching this summer on Ecclesiology is something that I have been teaching at DSPT since the year 2000, but I have always taught it over the course of a whole semester. How to repackage it for two intense weeks may be tricky. From what John and Marianne are saying in their e-mails last night and this morning, I may need to reconsider the whole approach. No, let me reword that. I MUST reconsider my whole approach. The thought of three-and-a-half hours of this stuff every day is exhausting to me. I can imagine what it would be like for the poverini who would be enrolled!

Okay… in two days I depart for Rome. I'm not ready for that either, but I've got my ticket and my toothbrush!

No comments: