
Arrived on Wednesday afternoon in good weather. It then has proceeded to rain ever since. However, we have had some interesting discussions in the first two days of our Salesian Scholars Seminar.
Yesterday we spent the whole day with Agnes presenting material on 16th and 17th century emblem books. While I've had the Gambart Emblem book for a few months now, I must say that I did not appreciate the import of the Emblem in the early decades of publishing. My ideas are starting to change as I understand the concept much better. But I'll need some tome to absorb the wealth of materials received and the very good discussions the scholars pursued afterwards.
This morning we had the papers of Jill and Trisch. Both wrote on the missionary years of Francis de Sales in the Chablais. I have found both exceptional. Our discussions were very excited too, although I took issue with the representation of Francis as trying to just uphold the institutional church. I make my reference to him as a missionary in the Jesuit tradition of Italy and not as an agent of the crown.
This afternoon we'll have the papers of Sandy, on the image of Jacob's ladder, and Paula on Francis's use of classical images taken from Pliny. Good stuff.
It is not easy for me to go online, so I will just make a quick post and revamp this later as a have an opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment