Friday, October 27, 2006

Aldo's arrival


Although I checked the internet for the arrival of British Airways flight 287 from London to San Francisco, and the airline website listed the flight as "on time"… well, it was not really the case.

As I have been doing lately, I dropped the car at the BART parking lot in North Berkeley, and took the light rail BART to the San Francisco Airport. I arrived at 15.45 for the 16.12 scheduled arrival, only to discover that the flight would be 50 minutes late. No matter. I had my IPOD (best investment in ages) and was happy to listen to podcasts on the subject of Harry Potter while I waited for Aldo's arrival. He finally showed up at 17.40. We made the easy walk to the BART station at the SFO International Terminal, and by 17.50 we were on a train heading for Berkeley;

The conversation was very interesting, and I was happy to be speaking Italian. Aldo caught me up on all the initiatives and politics of the UPS, of the Formation Department at the Salesian Generalate, and on individual friends of ours. My questions about the ISS of Berkeley and the Spirituality Faculty of the University remain the same as ever. I don't think there is a clear "better" or "worse" in all this. If I go back to Rome it will depend on my own decision, and not particular need.

We arrived back at Don Bosco Hall at 20.00. I warmed up a little supper and we continued our conversation. Then we paid a visit to Arthur Lenti, who was very happy to see Aldo… but Arthur's IMac was giving him problems, so Tho Bui was working on it as Aldo and Arthur discussed their work schedule for the next few days. The exciting thing is that Aldo has secured €20,000 to publish the first four volumes of Arthur's opus. This is a first!

No comments: