Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Messages of gratitude


Today is the feast of Mary Help of Christians (Maria Ausiliatrice), and we had a day of celebrations at the UPS that were wonderful. Sal and son went into Rome on their own to do some shopping. I went to concelebrate at the liturgy in the University Parish of Maria della Speranza. Aunt Rose had found her way there, but I did not see her until the end of the mass. She loved it.

Oh, the principal celebrant was Archbishop Angelo Amato, of the Congregation of the Faith. In my student days at the UPS he was professor of systematic theology and then dean of the faculty of theology. It was good to see him, but I didn't have a chance to visit with him personally.

Afterwards there was a picnic lunch in the piazza of the University. We joined the little English-speaking group there under the porticoes and Carlo and Sebastian looked out for my Aunt too. Another thing that she enjoyed was the meal "al fresco" with the young Salesians. It was at about that time that the two Sals joined us, happy with their day of shopping and touring on their own.

In the evening, at the end of the festive meal in our Don Rua community dining room, Aunt Rose wanted to give a message of thanks, and I translated her words for the community:

I arrived as a guest and you have made me family. I came as a visitor and you have made me part of your community. For years my husband and I have supported the Salesian Missions, but I never knew any Salesian other than my nephew. Now I have met you and realize that you represent the Church as missionaries in so many countries. I now have faces to put in front of me when I pray for and help the Salesian mission efforts. Thank you from the heart.

After the meal, we went out into the Piazza hoping to catch a glimpse of the Marian procession, but it got a late start, and our little Boenzi contingent was tired and returned to the university to get some sleep. Rose leaves tomorrow to return to her home in Sacramento.

No comments: