Monday, May 08, 2006

Emanuele and Francesco


Last Friday, 5 May, I met with two "giovani" who frequent the Scientific Lyceum of the FMA in Rome (Via Dalmazia 12). Their names are Emanuele Pelliccia, who is 18, and his classmate Francesco Serafini, who is 19. They are both in their fifth and final year of "Liceo", which would be the equivalent of completion of junior college in USA.

Emanuele, with whom I've been in contact for over two months, can speak English; he had told me that Francesco is even better in English, and Francesco confirmed this.

When I met Emanuele on 8 April, I went over the different programs of the province, and prepared some notes for the two boys, but learning that their timetable was restricted (they must sustain the state-wide examinations in the latter part of June and the first half of July), it was my thought that the best possibility for them would be to help out in the parish and youth centers in Boyle Heights. Mel Trinidad confirmed this, and spoke with Fr Jim Nieblas in this respect. I presented this as the placement option, then, when I met with Emanuele and Francesco last Friday.

Tomorrow I will go to the home of Francesco to meet both sets of parents and to share a bit about what they can expect as volunteers in Los Angeles during the summer.

No comments: