Did laundry in the morning -- and this extended into the afternoon since I could not make large loads. The Sals have a lot of clothes.
Afternoon trip to Rome: Piazza Navona, San Luigi dei Francesi, Giolitti for gelato, Monte Citorio, Trevie Fountain. I told them the story of how, if you throw a coin in the Fontana di Trevie, you will return to Rome. I'd heard the story when I was a kid from a Salesian who had been a student in Rome, Fr Ralph Simeoni. Then the story was told in the movie "Roman Holiday", and that made the practice famous. However, I have since learned that the legend is not from Hollywood but indeed Roman and a very old tradition that goes back at least a couple of centuries.
Well, there were so many people around the fountain that it was impossible to get too close without being attacked by Indian vendors insisting on our buying trinkets. Their pushiness did not matter; being at the fontana is always magic for me, and I saw it was for my engineer of a brother and sometimes-skeptical nephew. But we did not throw in any coins. Sal simply said, "I've already decided to come back to Rome; I don't need to throw in any coins for that."
No comments:
Post a Comment