Saturday, January 28, 2006

St Thomas


Celebrating the feast of Saint Thomas Aquinas today in a very intellectual way by correcting examinations in the area of theology. Okay, that's not completely true. We had a nice community liturgy this morning, and I was struck by the prayers in Italian as Thomas was described for as someone who always sought the truth while giving himself deeply to the love of God and the love of neighbor. I also heard a little report on Vatican Radio that told of Thomas giving himself to popular preaching throughout Italy (that, in other words, he did not simply remain in the professor's chair in Paris all his life). That was refreshing to hear.

For all of that, I did manage to send off greetings to the faculty members at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology (DSPT) back in Berkeley.

Yesterday, while researching in the library on a different topic, I found a quotation from Francis de Sales regarding Thomas: "St Thomas is the great star of theology and a model of humility" (Treatise, book 10, chap. 16). Now that is really wonderful imagery!

No comments: