Mario Toso, who is rector magnificus of the Salesian University (and a schoolmate of mine from my undergrad theology days in Torino) asked me to represent him and the University at a conference and reception sponsored and hosted by the U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See. He asked me ten days ago (which explains why my stomach has been upset for the last week). Well, the event was this afternoon.
The lecture and rection was meant to celebrate the 40th anniversary of «Dignitatis Humanae», the declaration on religious liberty issued by the Second Vatican Council and promulgated on 7 December 1965. The speakers were Cardinal Theodore McCarrick (archbishop of Washington), the Honorable James Towey (director of the White House Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives), and Dr Scott Appleby (director of the Joan B Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies at the University of Notre Dame). The distinguished panel was introduced by Ambassador Francis Rooney.
The Ambassador is a rookie: he's only been on the job since 15 November. He's got a double law degree from Georgetown, and has all the enthusiasm of a southern Catholic.
I was nervous about going. I mean, the dignitaries of the US State Department are not my crowd. When I got to the «Centro Studi Americani» where the event was hosted, I became even more nervous. The place was filled with black-suited American clergy. Yes, I had on my best suit and clericals, but I felt so out of place in that crowd, that my stomach began to weaken again… so I smiled, said hello to the embassy officials, and the few padres who looked my way, and then took the program and notes and found a place in the audience. I read all the materials in the ten minutes before the program got underway.
The lectures went overtime (so, it is not only an Italian thing, eh?), and afterwards I went to greet the Ambassador on behalf of Mario Toso (the Ambassador had a blank look when I said Salesian, so it just shows you how important this representation was), and then spoke with Cardinal McCarrick. Yes, he brightened up when I said Don Bosco. He's very happy with the progress made by Steve Schenk and the Salesians in DC. His words at the end to me made the night worth it.
I had to walk 8 blocks to get to the bus stop, and as I waited for the 60, I saw the Augustinian Sisters arrive -- the junior sisters who take classes in the city. I recognized them immediately after the 11 days I spent celebrating mass for them during Christmas time. We had a nice chat as we waited for the bus, and for the first five stops… This too made the lecture much more enjoyable for me. And then I got off the 60, caught the 90, and got back to the UPS before the sidewalks were completely rolled up.
Oh? and the content of the lecture? I expect someone will publish it soon. If they do, I'll put in links.
No comments:
Post a Comment