Monday, January 09, 2006

Back to school

Well, here we are, Monday… and almost everyone has returned to the Don Rua community, and to the university for the resumption of class and work. Most folks are pretty upbeat, and it is good to see the place teaming with students and teachers again. When I walked from the library to the bookstore, I passed a lot of groups of young women, all of whom spoke loudly as they held their cigarettes in their hands… the topic was, invariably, il mio ragazzo -- their boyfriends. The groups of guys spoke less loudly, but by their gestures they seemed to be talking about great adventures, trips, sports (and not la mia ragazza).

Most of the morning I spent between my office and the library as I prepared the last set of notes for my classes this semester. I've brought them to the copy shop, and Signor Bertello told me that the notes should be ready by the end of the day. I also went to the libreria (the book shop) and picked up my pre-ordered copy of Harry Potter e il Principe Mezzosangue. It just became available on 6 January, day of the Befana… but of course the shops have been closed since Thursday for the Epiphany weekend. But I was not so desparate, since I've read the book in the original version. It will feature as part of the course I teach second semester.

Ah -- school days.

No comments: