A long layover at Washington DC has given me some time to catch up on email and to even watch some television in the airport. It is all election coverage, when it is not football.
Actually, I left Niagara Falls this morning at 7.45. John Graden brough Wendy Wright, Sr Grace MacCormack and myself to the Buffalo Airport. We spoke about the Salesian Scholars Seminar, and everyone of us seem to be pleased with the outcome. We are all worried for Grace, who goes back a bit early because of the illness of the superior of the monastery in St Louis. Said goodbye to John at the curb, and goodbye to Wendy and Grace after getting my luggage sent ahead and clearing security.
Seems strange not to be going home after this week. No, I'm going on to Rome. Well, it was the only way that made sense. I need to be in Rome and a trip back home after these days in Niagara Falls would have just added to the cost and lost more time.
Buffalo Airport: I was surprised that there were very few passengers, but then it is Sunday. Most flight fill up only in the evening, at the end of the day on Sundays. The trip on a tight little prop plane went well enough. I knew what to expect and have a good book, so I arrived in good spirits at Washington's Dulles Airport after a pleasant, no-frills flight.
My layover in Washington is nearly 5 hours, which has given me time to get a good lunch and then sit in the United Airlines lounge. In about an hour I will move to the boarding area and get ready for my flight from Washington to Rome.
These trips are more routine now than ever, yet I find myself less prepared to do this sort of thing. I'd been trying for two weeks to wrap up things at home, but did not quite manage. Happily, the week in Niagara has given me some distance.
And what do I do this time in Rome? There are two courses that I will be teaching: Youth Spirituality and a Seminar on Salesian storytelling. Ask me if I feel prepared… What's that? Do I feel prepared? Hmmm. I cannot lie about it. I do not feel in the least prepared. I was prepared 18 months ago when I taught this material, but not at all now.
But I have all the materials I need. I'll try to move ahead with logic rather than feeling.
Hmmm - time is passing in this Red Carpet United Lounge. I better finish my glass of pineapple juice, pack up this computer, find my passport and my ticket, and move toward the departure gate. I'm slated to arrive tomorrow morning at 6.45. Maybe I should also think about sleeping (I think to myself and smile).
No comments:
Post a Comment