Thursday, October 09, 2008

Papa Pacelli remembered

Fifty years ago today -- I remember it clearly -- my father called my brother and I into the kitchen after dinner and told us to watch the news with him. The news was this: Pope Pius XII was dead.

My father and grandfathers had always proposed this pope as a model for me: "He has the same name as you do," they told me.

That was confusing for me at age 6. "What do you mean? His name is Pius; my name is Joey… we don't have the same name."

"No," my father explained. "His name before he became pope was Eugenio Pacelli. And that's your middle name: Eugenio!"

Because of the pope I found out that I had a middle name… And so I became very affectionate in my feeling for him. There were television shows about the pope on Christmas and I remember pulling away from the playing with my cousins on those evenings and watching the pope's story on the TV. At the church there was a pictorial book of the pope and the Vatican, and I would borrow the book every Sunday and "read" all the photographs. Now I stood in front of the television, watching the new service, and trying to grasp what it all meant. At age 8, I knew that he was the pope of peace. I wondered how the Church would find another or if anyone could take the place of Papa Pacelli, as my grandfathers called him.

Funny. Every year on 9 October I think back to that evening when I stood in our kitchen and watched the news with my dad. I think of the figure of Pius XII. I think of how much he did for humanity (as I would learn only later) and I think of the attacks made against him by former Nazis and Soviets after his death that most people all-to-willingly believed. These malicious attacks have been proven baseless now. Hopefully the new researchers, Jewish and Catholic, will soon publish their findings to clear his name and allow his legacy to have its rightful impact again, for the peace of the nations and the strengthening of all who trust and love God.

Pius XII, born in Rome on 2 March 1876, elected to the Chair of Peter on 2 March 1939, and died in Castelgandolfo on 9 October 1958. May God be good to him!

No comments: