
Seven years today was the death of my father, John. He was always vibrant, active, industrious, community-oriented, a natural educator, gregarious, athletic, patriotic, supportive of neighbors, ready to take the first step with people, planner, lover of music, veteran of World War II, Bronze Star recipient, singer and performer, dancer, chef, tailor, builder, engineer, baseball coach, union man, community organizer, Cooperator Salesian, loving husband and devoted son and brave father. His biggest concern was always FAMILY.
Sometime, somewhere, I should start to write a little biography of the man, not just to recount the story for myself, but especially to tell his grandchildren and their children what manner of man John Boenzi was. I cannot do this right now. After all, blogs are about the present and not about the past… and so I add just the impressions and memories of him that are strongest for me now, seven years after his death.
Thursday, 11 October 2001 was such a painful day in my experience… when I heard the news through a phone message from my brother Mario, I went into a daze that lasted four months. That year had struck our family hard: my uncle Charles Kasal had died in February, and my uncle Dominic Boenzi (dad's older brother) died in July. In the case of my father, my brothers and I knew it was a matter of time since his conditions were deteriorating rapidly.The last 10 years of his life he was stricken with Alzheimer disease, and as of August 1999 had been in an care facility. Gradually he changed in those last ten years. He had become cautious and fearful. He lost his building skills, he lost his memory, he lost his ability to sing and then to speak… but he did keep some words. A word he never lost was FAMILY.
Seven years ago, Dad. Miss you a lot. I know you are doing well now, but I still miss you a whole lot, as does Mom, as do your sons and your nieces and nephews, and so very many friends. But as you enjoy the Light, please get the Good Lord to send some of it our way, to lighten our hearts and comfort us and strengthen us along the path.
No comments:
Post a Comment