Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Doctor's visit

Well, it was not really the doctor's visit: more like my visit to the doctor. I arrived at Albany at my doctor's office at 7.45 after a trip on the BART and a seven-minute brisk walk along the footpath under the train tracks that border the El Cerrito Center. Doctor Kun Huang had the results of my blood tests from a week ago… blood sugar is down, as are the triglycerides and bad cholesterol. That was good news. The good cholesterol, however, is also down. It has been 6 weeks that I have been on medication, with no carbs, no wine, and daily brisk walking of about 20 minutes. I'll need to get the walking up to about 40 minutes, however, if I am going to build up the system a bit more.

There have been some side effects however, which have left me very tired and physically drawn. So the dosage of the medication is reduced from two capsules each day at meals, to one capsule each day at breakfast. This is the provision for the next 3 months… Dr Huang will see me in February.

Yes: brisk walks, brisk walks, brisk walks. And watch my diet… yes, yes. But I have a question. How will I keep off of carbs and wine when I'm in Italy?

Hmmm which reminds me: I leave this coming Saturday. I need to pack.

No comments: