Thursday, January 04, 2007

Driving in the driving rain

Although I'd planned an early departure, it was pouring rain this morning in Berkeley… I checked the forecasts on Accuweather, which showed the rain to be confined to the northern part of the state, and so I started south on I-5. Instead, the rain followed right through. It got so bad at the Grapevine that I nearly pulled into a motel. That was at 3:45. I filled the tank with gas and the sky seemed to break open, so I continued south. Big mistake. It took me three hours to do the last 90 miles.

But all was not loss. The news today was interesting. The swearing in of Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House was the main attraction on KCSB and then on KNX (Los Angeles) radio news. Here we are: the first woman Speaker in US History, who is also the first Californian as Speaker, and the first Italian-American. All those elements came into play today in the news, as well as her being a mother and a grandmother: "from the kitchen to the congress," she said. Evviva, Signora Pelosi!

Do I want to drive to L.A. again? As I was making my way through the darkness and the rain, I thought that it is better to fly if only to avoid the L.A. traffic. A trip from the airport to Bellflower on the Green Line of the light rail train is so much easier, and so much faster.

Okay, this sounds like a great resolution for the new year! I'm sure United Airlines will be happy too.

No comments: