Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Trip to "Pio Undecimo"

The rainy weather has continued though most of the month. Yesterday it poured for 15 hours -- and I had to travel to the south of Rome to give a conference at one of our technical schools, Pio XI. It took me two hours to get there because the buses had problems navigating with all that water (and perhaps because they were coming out of a three hour strike that lasted through the morning). We were stuck in the Metro aboard the A train, stopped between stations for nearly 15 minutes, and when I say stuck, I mean that the cars were already over-crowded, so it was very uncomfortable to be in such close quarters without knowing what was happening. The men on board were beginning to get restless; the women were peaceful. Poor folks; things would have been better if someone had just made an announcement on the intercom speakers to explain the cause for the delay.

By the time I got to Pio XI (between the Via Appia Antica and the Via Tusculana) I was pretty soaked, but so was everyone else at the evening event. In spite of the rain, there was a good turnout of folks. Well it has rained so much this year that if people stopped because of the rain, they'd never get anything done.

Today we had a absolutely clear sky, but the temperature went down by 10 degrees. It is the last day of "Carnevale", so everyone is cheery no matter what the temperature.

No comments: