Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Even though we had a big mass in honor of Sts Cyril and Methodius, patrons of Europe, it is also Valentine's Day. There were no pink hearts or chocolates around the UPS, because this is a serious environment… but I know that people around here are celebrating, because the stores have carried chocolate samples all week.

All's well. The Fall Semester finally ends today with the last of the examinations. The new semester starts tomorrow. I'll teach only one seminar class, comparing the boyhood stories of John Bosco with the saga of Harry Potter. There are a lot of young people who are showing interest, even if the professors think that I've lost my mind.

But on Valentine's Day I remember well that in Book Five, Harry Potter finds a little sweetheart in the person of Cho Chang, and the two goes off to Hogsmead on their first date on Valentine's Day. The date becomes a disaster before it begins, however, and Harry quickly darts over to meet with Hermione and Hagrid at the Three Broomsticks Cafe.

I can't find any reference to Valentine's day in John Bosco's youth, except he did write a book called "Valentino: the Story of a Lost Vocation".

Hmm… lots of broken hearts out there.

No comments: