With Tom I have tried to reflect what is happening at the generalate in the dicastery for formation that is having an impact, I believe, on all the programs of ongoing and initial formation, particularly in the area of Salesianity. Francesco Cereda is leaving the ratio behind, as far as I and a few of my contacts can make out. He is moving to centralize. Of this, I believe, we need to be aware. Per sé, I don't have any doubts that the ISS programme is viable; what perturbs me is that the general council, taking their lead from Cereda in matters of formation, are telling provincials that the only place to study Salesian spirituality is the UPS. Furthermore, the UPS has created two four-month sabbatical programs: one for missionaries and one for formation personnel. The missionary course drew 40 participants; the formation course, now in session, has drawn 98. It is a big money-maker. As for the process, I have severe doubts because everything is done in Italian, and it is not clear to me how many of the formators understand the language. Everyone that I've met has spoken to me in Spanish or Portuguese (and among the missionaries, half spoke English and had no clue in Italian!).
Viability? I think our progam is more balanced in terms of content and pace, and I think that we give a better experience of community. Cereda himself tells me that everyone that he has spoken to raves about the quality of their experience in Berkeley. But if the general councils are pushing the provinces to send people only to Rome? Well, who will new provincials listen to? Not even the leadership New Rochelle or Sherbrooke are willing to send someone for a 9 month course. They love SES and intersession, but don't go for the longer program.
Viability? Are we viable if all we can offer is intersessions and short courses? Will that mean ISS and DBH only caters to Americans for here on in? Will Salesians from other countries come all the way to the end of the earth (California) for intersessions and short course? Maybe. I don't know. The committee will have to sort that out. What I'm saying is that, whereas we used to be able to count on Martin McPake, Luke Van Looy, and Pascual Chavez promoting our center and our programs, we can no longer count on the support of the general council to promote ISS. We are off the radar screen.
No comments:
Post a Comment