
In the lead-up to my first Christmas in Italy, 30 years ago (mamma mia!), I was confused at hearing people rant against the commercialism of the holidays. Of course, coming from California, I came from a culture that had commercialized everything, so I wasn't even aware of just how consumer oriented my own surroundings had been.
Now, Advent 2005, I'm hearing the same complaints from many Italian friends. Even the pope has been talking about being careful to search the real meaning of Christmas.
But as a Californian, I find there is much less commercialism here, even if the Italians are becoming very vocal in their opposition. True, the stores are decorated now (whereas in the 1970s the stores did not decorate until after the 24th). Yet, the decore is modest really, and nearly every store also has a nativity scene in the window or in a prominent place in the shop. What is interesting to me is to see the kids looking in the shop windows. They are not looking at the merchandise, but at the stable and nativity scene figures (il presepio).
In most places the baby Jesus is not yet been set in the crib. I remember that when I was 12 I had set up the nativity scene at our house by the tree. My grandparents came over early on the 24th to oversee the preparation of the traditional Neopolitan Christmas eve supper. When my grandfather saw the baby Jesus in the stable, he pulled me aside and told me that I needed to hide the baby until midnight! So I did. Then, at midnight, my grandfather had me get the figure and slip in into the manger scene. The little cousins thought it was a miracle, since they hadn't seen me retrieve the figure. At 12 I was proud to do this little act of faith and keep the Christmas spirit alive for my family. It was really a magic moment, when I think of it now.
Well, commercialized or not, the Roman shopkeeprs seem to know the same tradition that my grandfather taught me. And while I know they are eager to make their sales during this month, they still affirm the faith of all the people who stop to look in at the nativity display in their store windows. And I see the children's eyes are bright, expentant, and even pious as they await the child. Not a few of them make the sign of the cross when then leave the window.
Well, that doesn't happen in California, does it? I tend not to worry that Christmas will be too commercial for these hopeful little ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment