Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

This morning I had to walk down through Piazza dell'Ateneo -- and I saw a huge crowd of people in front of one of the shops as I made my way down the hill. While still 20 meters away from them I began to smell the attraction: fresh fish!

Ah yes. It is the Christmas Eve (la vigilia di Natale) and the tradition in Southern Italy is for a completely meatless supper. In fact, twelve plates of vegetables and seafood. This is why the Fruit Vendor's shop was also crowded.

The elders were discussing in animated fashion, and the children were on the curb talking excitedly that there would be all kinds of cousins at their houses tonight for Christmas Eve. And it sounded like my house when I was growing up. The language was different, but the tradition was the same. Cousins seem to make Christmas important and wonderful for little kids. Even Jesus' first Christmas had a Cousin close by: John the Baptist, who has figured in the Gospel stories of these days. Come to think of it, his diet was rather meatless too.

So why are people so worried about materialistic Christmases? With strong family traditions like this, the meaning will come through.

Ah… but when there is no family, then the problem arises.

No comments: