This blog began when in Rome in September 2005 for a research sabbatical. At the end of that academic year I returned to Berkeley but not for long. I now commute between Italy and California, teaching theology on two faculties. Contrary to popular belief, Rome is not so institutional, and Berkeley is not so radical. I blog impressions and reflections as I alternate living on the northside of the Eternal City and the northside of Cal … and perhaps on the outskirts of history.
Class blogs from Rome and Berkeley
Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Christmas break starting
Today is the last day of lessons at the Salesian Pontifical University before Christmas. Oh, did I neglect to say that I have been busy here in Rome?
Yes, my motive for coming was that I had qualified for a Research Sabbatical after 12 full semesters at DSPT in Berkeley. I'd made up my proposal, and so came to the UPS as a Visiting Scholar. Instead of "scholar", however, the Theology School here understood "professor". So, here I am as a Visiting Professor, teaching a double course this semseter, and conducting a seminar course in the Spring Semester.
This isn't how I planned it, but because I'm teaching, the UPS pays my living expenses and my health insurance. What a deal! It would have cost me upward of €30 a day (well, not me: the Salesians in California). Instead, they are making money off me (because my salary from DSPT goes to the Salesian province).
The teaching is a lot of fun -- in Italian with students from all over the world. The course is entitled "Francesco di Sales: Storia e Spirito" [Francis de Sales: Story and Spirit]. It is the same material that I've taught at DSPT and GTU in Berkely for ten years, but putting the course together in another language makes it a bit exciting. The big job is translating my class-handouts from English to Italian. It takes me all week to produce 24 pages in clean-copy Italian. But the students are Advanced Level on their post-graduate specializations (according to the new European academic system); they are very interested and I'm enjoying the interaction. Interaction with the other teachers is very good as well.
And the research? Well I should be nervous about that, but just going back to sources in French and Italian to prepare the course in another language has given me a lot of material, so that I think I can complete my first book proposal (on Francis de Sales) during the month of January when teaching yields to exams.
Best part: I've got a great title for the book: "Francis de Sales: Story and Spirit". Okay, I'll cite the UPS in my acknowledgements page.
So anyway… today the lessons come to a halt. The students are heading off today and tomorrow and quiet will descend upon the UPS. A researcher's delight (I guess).
... ...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment