Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Turning point for humanity


At 5.00 this morning my alarm went off with the news from the RAI (Radio Italiana) and the first words were that the United States has chosen its 44th president: Barak Obama.

Suddenly my eyes were wide open and I was up and showering as the news account continued. I rushed over to the university theology building and to my office to open up the internet. I was just in time to see Barak arrive on the stage in Chicago and deliver his acceptance speech.

And what a speech. As I listened to him I realized that this was not thank-you speech for receiving the prize; this was not the Oscars. Obama was already speaking as president, and there were echoes of JFK, FDR and Lincoln. Echoes, I say, not only in how Obama speaks, but in the content: of "government of the people, by the people, for the people." Of having nothing to fear if not fear itself, and of making the sacrifice for the common good but in common, together, giving to the country, that is, to the people.

It is a long time since anyone has spoken in this way.

Well this was all before 6.15 in the morning… and I made it to morning prayer and eucharist with the Gesù Maestro Community at 6.30… Afterwards people were exultant here: professors, students, working staff, administration. So many were congratulating me (as if I did anything other than to vote) and expressing their great joy that America has once again proved that democracy works. That a child born to disadvantage can rise above it all and lead a free people. That a black man, son of an immigrant father, can push the country out of old prejudices and finally help us all (Americans and the World) trust in our dreams (How many Italians were quoting to me Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech!!!). That a free people can make room for the rising generations and empower them to speak up, to venture forth, to vote and make a difference -- and that the young are not the misfits, the rebels, the slackers.

My students here at the UPS come from all five continents, and the vast majority showed great excitement today and, during the breaks and over coffee were quoting to me the words of Obama from throughout the year. How amazing is that!

Well, Obama has said so much about the need to heal the nation (echoes of Lincoln) and to give everyone equal opportunity no matter their origins or their beliefs (echoes of MLK) and especially that it is time to pull together, roll up our sleeves, and take on the grave problems we face. He has said it. People have heard it, not only in America that puts him to the presidency with 338 electoral votes, but throughout the world.

Okay, I have to say that I do not know if the whole world really cares, but Rome is not just in Italy: it is a world capital. The UPS is a pontifical university and has students from around the globe. In Roma, that is eternal and international, Obama is already exciting the vast majority… so I can indeed say that this is a turning point for America and for the world.

No comments: