Wednesday, November 12, 2008

St Martin's summer


Yesterday, 11 November, was the feast of St Martin of Tours… and traditionally in Rome, 11 November and the period surrounding it is called l'estate di san Martino -- literally the summer of St Martin.

What does that mean? The better translation for North Americans would be Indian Summer. In other words, during the period around St Martin's feast day, the weather is usually warm and the sky open.

This perfectly describes the weather we enjoyed yesterday. Beautiful, warm, sunny, bright. Everyone was in a great mood too. Thank you, San Martino! It was wonderful after so many days of rain last week.

Today, instead, it the sky has been covered and it is cold. Worse still, the meterologists (weathermen) are threatening heavy rain for the rest of the week. Oh well!

For my part, after five hours of class yesterday, and two hours of class today, I found myself very tired by dinner time today. I really wanted to take a siesta… but I did not. Instead, I did my walking exercises for 40 minutes after dinner. No, I did not walk as briskly as I have been doing, but I did walk at a steady pace. I hope this did some good, or that at least it will keep me consistent. I have been doing the brisk walking for two weeks now, only changing routine on Tuesdays, when I have so many hours of classes in a tight schedule. The goal is to keep the blood moving, get the muscles in tone again, and eventually lose some weight. I'm trying to lose 10 kilos.

Well, whether I succeed or not, it does give me a pause in the day when I can think other thoughts. Now, if San Martino will hold off the rain for a while, I should be able to keep up this pace in the next month or so as well.

No comments: