Today I did get over to the local Salesian parish (Santa Maria della Speranza - Our Lady of Hope) and help out for a couple of masses with confessions. The church has been filled to beyond capacity all during Lent, and today there was a definite element of festivity with Palm Sunday.
Okay, they call it Palm Sunday, but in Rome people do not carry palm branches but olive branches in the procession. In fact, I noticed that everyone held their olive branches throughout the entire reading of the Gospel, which of course was that of Mark's Passion of the Christ. As the masses ended, everyone greeted friends and neighbors -- a lot of kissing on both cheeks -- before leaving the church. As a couple of people told me: "Palm Sunday is a very special day, a day to pray for and work for peace. This is why we carry these olive branches to our homes".
With all the stress in today's families, the longing for peace is more acute than ever. I pray these Romans may find some peace this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment