This blog began when in Rome in September 2005 for a research sabbatical. At the end of that academic year I returned to Berkeley but not for long. I now commute between Italy and California, teaching theology on two faculties. Contrary to popular belief, Rome is not so institutional, and Berkeley is not so radical. I blog impressions and reflections as I alternate living on the northside of the Eternal City and the northside of Cal … and perhaps on the outskirts of history.
Class blogs from Rome and Berkeley
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Holy Thursday
Joined Albino Ronco and Christian Dubot for mass at the headquarters of the Sister Handmaids of the Sacred Heart. The community of Sisters has its origins in Peru, and they have been in Rome since 1910. They are located in a residential district that was built between 1918 and 1926. At one time they ran a school in their house; now they run an elder-care center, with about 50 elderly women. Many of these people, and many folks coming from the neighborhood came to this afternoon's service. The church was packed with the elderly, the sick, and a whole contingent of down children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment