Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Keep Christ in Christmas

Piazza dell’Ateneo Salesiano, after the rains
My plan is to spend Christmas in Acerra with my zia Olga. The last time I was able to go there was in June 2007. Last year my aunt was injured and unable to host me… and my own time at the university was so intense that I was not able to really do much in terms of extra curriculars.

The morning has been beautiful. After so many days of rain, it was a real blessing. I went into the piazza to do some shopping (as this is also market day). My hope was to find some panettone, but the selection was poor. I did buy some coffee, however, since I know that Zia Olga will like this.


Many of the stores in our neighborhood have put up nativity scenes, either in the shop or in the shop window. one was very amazing, really. It was in a watch repair shop, and the nativity scene takes up the whole window. I noticed it because there were a number of people standing around and admiring it. When I went to get a look for myself, I overheard a couple of neighbors conversing and saying how pleased they are that the nativity scenes (i presepi) are returning and that people are making an effort to construct them.

If people are afraid that no one in Europe wants to keep Christ in Christmas, this cannot be the fear in Rome right now. Nativity scenes are on the rise… or at least, this is what the neighbors were saying.

Shop window nativity scene in Piazza dell’Ateneo Salesiano
For my part, I had a good look at the presepio on the storefront window, and spent more than a few moments there. It represents a very tender scene, and I was very pleased.

No comments: