Sunday, December 07, 2008

Advent Sunday 2



After another stormy night, Sunday dawned with blue skies and cold winds. As I usually do, I joined the student communities for the Sunday Eucharist. This time it was Fr Peter Gonsalves who was main celebrant. He shared some interesting experiences about preparing the way for Christ, and looking for Jesus who comes at Christmas. I say interesting, because he spoke of doing the quest for Jesus totally on the internet… and of finding many things connected with Christmas but very little connecting Christ to Christmas.

Is this only the fault of the search engines?

The story was humorous and thought-provoking.

At breakfast, I sat with a couple of African Salesians, and got more information about yesterday’s gathering. They were very happy with the outcome of the day, and are hopeful about the development of the Church and of the Salesian Society on their continent.

On the way back to the residence, I met up with a couple of European friends. They are less than hopeful. Europe is experiencing a drying up of religious vocations and, indeed, a denial of its Christian past. There are many solutions being proposed, but none really seem to remedy anything. Europe needs some soul searching with regard to his journey of faith.

So here are the ebbs and flows of faith around the globe. My African companions are most excited and hopeful; my European colleagues are discouraged and brooding. The feelings and expressions of those from Asia, Americalatina, and Oceania range between these two extremes on the continuum. All of which gives me much to contemplate on this second Sunday of Advent 2008.

No comments: