It is not clear to me why there will be this commemoration at the UPS, except that Cardinal Stickler was once Rector Magnificus, as was Raffaele Farina (back during my student days). It seems like the appropriate place and occasion, then, for a commemoration.
Don Stickler was rector at the time of the great organization of the several Salesian faculties and oversaw the move of the pontifical atheneum to the present site in Rome in 1966. He organized the faculty of classical languages here as well, before being called in 1971 to serve as librarian and archivist for the Vatican. His scholarly contributions are many (and he is said to have been a character and a half). John Paul II made him cardinal in the consistory of 25 May 1985, when he was already 74 years old. He died last 12 December, 2007; Pope Benedict XVI himself presided at the funeral, and I remember that a few members of our community went to that mass. Already then it was decided to do something to commemorate his contributions at the UPS; it has taken a year to organize it.Besides all this, I am personally excited to be able to again see Don Raffaele. Okay, he is now Archbishop and Cardinal of Santa Romana Chiesa, but I still think of him as don Farina. Afterall, this is how I have known him for many years. Don Farina was rector when I received my Bachelor degree in 1979 and my doctorate in 1996. I had the joy of welcoming him to Bellflower when he came for a visit in 1983, and someone took some photos on that day, but who knows what happened to them. During my licentiate and doctoral studies, we had many long and friendly conversations. I have always found him warm, gentle and absolutely brilliant.

Raffaele Farina, Salesian, Cardinal, Scholar and Vatican Librarian
At any rate, I have already eaten breakfast and shared the morning ritual of storytelling. It is still very dark right now, at 7.30 - but the sky is illuminated by lightning and the count from the lightening strike to the crash of the thunder is not very long. It is quite close: within 5 km.
This has been the story of the whole night past. Rome has been the scene of heavy rains, strong winds, lightening and thunder and more thunder crashing, booming or rolling in, depending of the distance. It was not easy to sleep and I unplugged everything in my bedroom during the night to be safe. Yet, even without being able to sleep, it was wondrous to stay under the warm blankets in the well heated room as I heard the world crashing around me.
But it is time to get on with the day!
1 comment:
hi joe
i am a salesian from india - studied in rome a couple of years ago...i enjoy reading your blog and your take on the 'italian style'...i studied moral theology in the alfonsianum and stayed at testaccio...but some of the dynamics are similar...
thanks for your sharing - i find it enriching - more power to your pen...
matthew coutinho sdb
don bosco - nashik - india
Post a Comment