Thursday and no classes to teach all day, so I took it easy during the morning and did some laundry and other little tasks. The sky opened very blue this morning, and the air is fresh and sweet. How I love the scent of Rome when the wind is blowing and the ground is wet. My laundry likes it too, because it can dry in the November sunshine that is sweet and not too harsh.
At dinner today, I entered into a discussion with my table companions about the growing clericalism that we detect in the church. Is this a swing of the pendulum? Or is it a symptom of something deeper taking place, particularly among the younger generation? Whatever it is, it is happening in Eastern and Western Europe, as well as in North America, as a new strident crowd becomes more indignant within the Church, and as Society as a whole moves away from any notion of organized religion and all its trappings outside the inner circle of Western churches.
Heavy discussion, on top of pasta with a bacon and egg sauce. We switched themes and spoke of ecumenism when it was time for the second plate of chicken, potatoes and spinach. More than 2 hours later I still feel heavy!!!
It is time to prepare next weeks classes, but the first three days leave me rather exhausted and I lose my ambition. No matter. It is time to act. Still, if I do not succeed in meeting any academic deadlines, I am consoled that the afternoon sun is drying my laundry. At least I will have accomplished one deed today that has something of value.
No comments:
Post a Comment