Saturday, November 24, 2007

At St Peter's Square for the new cardinals

This morning I went down to St Peter's to assist at the public consistory for the creation of 23 new cardinals. Among the new cardinals is the Salesian Raffaele Farina, whom I can claim as a personal friend from my student days at the UPS (1990-1994), but also from several years earlier when he spent his sabbatical year (1984) in California and was a guest for a day at De Sales Hall. Of course, I already knew him in the sense that, as rector magnificus of the UPS, he had overseen my theology studies at the Crocetta and signed the diploma for my bachelor degree in theology. As a matter of fact, his signature is on all three of my degress from the UPS - Bachelor, Licentiate and Doctorate.

When the nominations came out a little over a month ago I was very happy to learn that (finalmente) Don Raffaele had been named to the cardinalate. So when tickets were offered, I immediately asked for one.

Tickets were to St Peter's Square, but the consistory took place inside the basilica. Those of us who were outside watched and heard all on giant screen televisions that were set up in the piazza. At first I was disappointed (of course) that I was not right there, but the sense of being seated in the crowd in the square and seeing all on the giant screens - things taking place a few hundred meters ahead of us -- well I was soon swept into it. There was a great feeling of participation by all in the piazza. We were really "there" after all.

Before the ceremony began, the big screens displayed a steady camera shot on the nave of the basilica. As the bells of St Peter's began to sound at 10.15, there was a zoom and a fade, and I recognized the camera techniques of RAI, and realized we would see what was being broadcast through Italy. The tremendous camera work made it all so close for us in the piazza, as we joined also in the responsory singing with the Sistine Choir (what a tremenous sound from that choir today! real improvement over how they sounded at the start of the 1990s!!!). And then I had a real surprise - a very pleasant one. The camera focused on don Pascual Chavez at least 5 times during the ceremony, including for an extended time during Pope Benedict's homily. I noted that there were no other shots on individuals in the church other than cardinals. Even though a Jesuit and a Franciscan were also receiving the red hat, there were not closeups on the Jesuit Superior General nor on the Franciscan Minister General. Just the Salesian rector major.

And there was a big enough Salesian contingent in the crowd too - for every time Don Chavez was seen and every time Cardinal Farina was named, there was a cheer. Big cheers also went for the former bishop of Loreto, Giovanni Lajolo, for the archbishop of Monterrey, Francisco Robles Ortega, and for the archbishop of Houston, Daniel di Nardo. There were drum beats and enthusiastic cheers for the archbishop of Dakar (Senegal) Theodore Adrien Sarr, and for the Chaldean Patriarch of Babylon (Bagdad) Emmanuel III Delly. These seem to figure in the news releases of the world press (or at least the USA press), but the television spotted Farina and Chavez. How cool is that?!

The exit from the basilica was solemn and festive at the same time, but I left and hurried to the metro to get home for dinner. I was starving. As I traveled home I noticed that it started to rain, and was caught in a downpour when I left the 80 express bus to make my way up Piazza dell'Ateneo Salesiano… I missed the soup, but made it for the main course… And there were chestnuts and barolo wine!!! Another treat on a very happy Roman day!

Tomorrow the cardinals will receive their cardinal's ring from Pope Benedict… that takes place at a mass, again in St Peter's. I have tickets for that too, but am not sure I will be able to go (and again, my tickets are for the square, not for the basilica).

No comments: