My friend and companion of ordination, Michael Gergen, is spending this year in Guadalajara. We have been in-touch over the last few months, and I note how he is enjoying his stay among Salesians of a very different cultural and spiritual context. It is exciting to see his enthusiasm, really.
Mike writes today in an email you said that this is the first time in decades that you are in a Salesian setting where there are many young Salesians. Being in a province where there are young Salesians is a great encouragement. You are filled with hope and a sense of the future. You can also become more aware of new ways of responding to the gospel and to Don Bosco's call for youth because the young Salesians bring fresh voices to the tradition.
This is what experienced in 1990-1994 when I was at the UPS working on my licentiate and doctorate. I was 40 when I was sent to Rome for advanced studies; the majority of those from other provinces were between the ages of 31 and 33. Most thought that I was younger than I was because of other factors, but I really appreciated those younger Salesians who were still very full of the first joy of their apostolic lives. Just being with them changed my understanding of a lot of aspects of the Salesian vocation.
Sadly, our province never had time for young Salesians even when, in our youth, there were many of us. We were more work oriented than mission oriented, I feel. I say after thinking about it, pondering it for the last 18 years. We never made much space for young Salesians. The kids, yes yes of course -- but young Salesians? Not really.
Now there are just a few… but my effort is always to make space for them: to hear their ideas, to share stories, to let them take leadership. We have some interesting prenovices this year too, and they have a lot to offer. Some of us are trying to give them opportunities and encouragement to do so… This may be the last chance.
Excuse my ranting, please. This is not said as a complaint against the province. My intent is to try to understand how we have worked hard in the USA but been unable to flourish. I say it with with a hope that we may respond more fruitfully in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment