Monday, June 09, 2008

Salesians gathered for retreat week

These thought come from Milford, on the outskirts of Limerick on the west of Ireland. Last night I began facilitating a retreat for Salesian men and women from across Ireland… My access to the internet these days is spotty and my timetable is rather full… but yes, we can get things started, even if we do so slowly.

The retreat starts on the feast of St Columba, who is one of the patrons of Ireland. I heard two homilies on the saint today, and some of the stories were quite surprising to me. I'll repeat them later.

As for the retreat itself, there are about 25 Salesian men and women here for the experience. Some who are listed did not come and some arrived who are not listed, so I not sure of the exact number. They are a happy and cordial group, and include some who have made the ISS in Berkeley in years past: Hugh O'Donnell (1987-1988), Val Collier (1991) and Anne Collins (2006-2007). There are a few younger Salesians who are working in the province temporarily: Mariuz from Poland and Bernhard from Austria.

My input today included some scriptural considerations on Faith in the morning, and a presentation on foundational concepts of Salesian spirituality from Francis de Sales and Don Bosco in the evening. They seem to have been appreciated.

However, what is more interesting to me is what I am hearing from this group than what I may be giving to them. The big concern in Catholic Ireland at the moment is the dramatic shift in culture. No one here wants to turn back the clock, but they do want to find ways to be of service to young people and the marginalized in the actual socio-cultural circumstances in which they find themselves. Hopefully I will learn more in the coming days.

I'm posting this at 13.14 - but add 8 hours to bring this to the Irish timezone: it is 21.14.

No comments: