The morning was so quiet at Celbridge and I had some time to look over my materials for the retreat to begin on Sunday night. After a deli lunch with the Salesians at the house, I was treated to a cultural heritage tour by Padraig.
Padraig drove me out to Brú na Boinne (or Bhrú na Bóinne) at about 40 minutes out. This is an ancient burial mound that was only discovered in the 1960s. Archeologists uncovered the amazing effects of how the burial ground is lit up once a year, on the day of the winter solstice… as the tunnel to the center of the burial ground is aligned perfectly so that the sun on that day illuminates the chamber. I had heard of this before and was glad to have a look for myself. The Visitor Centre is outstanding.
On the return to Celbridge we visited the Salesians at Warrenstown, where for years there had been two schools: one agricultural, the other horticultural. Now the land has just been sold from the agricultural school, and only the horticultural school will continue. Long story, really. However, the overriding question is how to serve the needs of the new Ireland with laity inspired by the Salesian charism? I'm sure I'll hear more during the week, since the Salesians from Warrenstown will join us on the retreat.
Dinner with Padraig and Paddy at Maynooth, in a fashionable Chinese restaurant. The conversation continued about the need to address contemporary needs in postmodern, postclerical Ireland… Oh, and the squid was excellent.
No comments:
Post a Comment