Thursday, February 07, 2008

Computer woes for a PowerPoint addict

Proverbs 16:9 - A man's heart plans out his way, but it is the Lord who makes his steps secure.

In the last week I have spent a lot of time to rebuild my G4 computer, and then to reload all my hardware. After bringing it into the Apple dealers on the university campus two weeks ago today, they ran diagnostics all week, and discovered corruption in the RAM. They replaced that and I returned to the shop to pick up my computer on Friday of last week.

However, I still could not open the applications (Word and Powerpoint). I thought it was a problem with Microsoft products, and spent two hours with the support staff of microsoft (on the telephone) on Saturday. The technician who spoke to me over the telephone walked me through every possible test, and she discovered that the problem was with the computer's directory…

At that point I thought that I needed to bring my computer back to the repair shop at the university, but I woke up on Sunday with a thought in my mind: can I use the repair disks supplied by Apple to get to the directory? I went into the repair feature and sent the computer through the process four times… and in the end there was one element that was still blocking the use of some applications. Since I had my data all backed-up, I finally just reformatted the computer, and re-installed the system software.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I reinstalled all my applications and data files, working on that after classes. Finally this morning I was able to use the powerbook laptop computer for the presentation of a Power Point lesson in class. Yay!!!

So the SHOW continues.

No comments: