Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Packed and ready…

After 8 years of teaching theology full-time in Berkeley, the option has come up for a year-long research sabbatical. I didn't think of going to Italy at first… but, one thing led to another, and here I am: headed for Rome.

Actually, I've already lived in Italy for a total of 9 years. If first went to Italy from Canada, 30 years ago. It was such an adventure then, but now? Perhaps there are not many pieces of the culture or style of life that surprise me. In fact, I feel very much at home. However, Rome is Rome and there is no other city like it. So, I'm just going to record some thoughts when I can -- impressions, ideas, or whatever.

Anyway, I'll be leaving for Los Angeles International (LAX) in about a half hour… My friend Juan Carlos Montenegro has promised to give me a life (if he can get out of his doctor's appointment on time). I go to live in Rome for the next 9 months, and I recall the age-old proverb: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do!"

No comments: