Thursday, September 22, 2005

Arrival note

After a long, long trip, I arrived at Roma Fiumicino tonight (21.30 hours). Jesús Manuel García and José Luis Moral met me as I came out of immigration and customs. It was late, but the Italian arrival went without a hitch. I am grateful to God for this after such a long trip.

The drive to the Salesian Pontifical University was long as well, since construction is taking place on Rome's circle road… and then there was no one to open the gate for us at the Comunità Don Rua, where I will be a community member this year… but that's another story. At this point I just want to make a quick entry so this blog gets itself launched.

The good news is that I'm back in Rome!!! My first visit here took place when I was 25. I'd heard stories of "the Eternal City" since childhood, and to go there -- well, it made me feel like a little kid on a big adventure. The chance of a lifetime! But then, I later returned many times, alone or with friends and family. Then I actually took up residence in Rome for nearly 5 years. Now, after a six-year lag, I'm back again.

What will Rome be like for me now? What will I see? What will be the same and what will be different in this place?

Well, we are about to see. I will add little thoughts as they come, basically to say: Here's how the "Eternal City" strikes me today.

Thanks for joining me, but if you will excuse me, I need to get some sleep.

Ciao!

No comments: