Monday, March 19, 2012

Adventures on St Joseph's Day

Today is the feast of Saint Joseph. In English he is called "the foster father of Jesus", but in Italian he is called "the supposed father of Jesus -- il padre putativo". I do like the Italian term better.

Images of St Joseph and other saints on sale at CVS pharmacy in Bellflower


We had a work day here at Berkeley, of course. In addition, this was the last day of the provincial visitation that began on 9 March, so it was busy and a little stressful. I was main celebrant at the 6.45 morning mass that turned out to be very solemn and festive despite the fact that God was not awake yet. In the evening we celebrated with some guests as well and our main meal and afterwards. So it turned out to be a great day…

… except for the fact that I fell down the stairs coming out of the dining room and gashed my head, twisted my ankle, went to the doctor for treatment and must meet a surgeon for reconstructive surgery on my face because the gash is so drastic. My ankle is wrapped too. Other than that, no big damage was done. I still have a load to teach this week, and at the end of the week I am (still) planning on going to St Louis to complete work on the manuscript of my book on the life and spirit of St Francis de Sales.

St Joseph carries the Child Jesus into Egypt (Holy Family Church, Artesia)

Hmmmmm. I promise not to moan too much for the pain. At the same time, I have to say that we have celebrated a very happy feast of St Joseph here in Berkeley with the Salesian community and a number of close friends.

No comments: