Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mourning my friend Andrzej

Today when I returned from the Province Assembly, I received an email with the simple announcement of the death of another UPS professor. What a shock to learn than Andrzej Mazewski, professor of Latin and my table companion during 2007-2008, died suddenly in Ljubljana. He was with the Salesians in the Slovenia province for Easter Week and died on Wednesday, 27 April.

Andrzej (pronounced André) was born on 2 December 1956 in Plock, Poland. His father was in the military and Andrzej was what we call in America a "military brat". That was a help to him, really, for Andrzej was highly adaptable, not only to changing circumstances but to a great mix of people. He entered the Salesians in 1977, and was ordained to the priesthood in 1984.

As a young Salesian he worked in education but also was devoted to visiting incarcerated youth. His stocky and strong build, matter-of-fact attitude, down-to-earth language must have helped him to fit right in among such youth, and he is known to have helped many to open their hearts, change their ways.

Who would have taken him for a Latin professor! Yes, his doctorate was in Latin, and he taught both the Latin language and Patristics at the Salesian formation college in Lodz until he was invited to Rome to join the faculty at the UPS in 2007.

As I said, I was on the same table with him during 2007-2008, along with don Antonio Castellano (professor of systematics) and don Gianfranco Venturi (professor of liturgy). Every meal was a riot of laughs, but also of sharing scholarship, talking deeper issues of faith and life -- and generally of good friend-building. In the years since, even though I was assigned to a different table for the meals, I found many opportunities to get together with Andrzej, and our relationship continued to grow.

Needless to say, I am shocked by this news of his sudden death. The funeral and burial took place in his hometown of Plock, and prayers are being held at the UPS in these days. May the loveable Fr Andrzej find rest and joy in the presence of the Risen Lord, whom he served with such enthusiasm and dedication.

Photo by JM Garcia: Fr Andrzej Mazewski during a community celebration in Spoleto, 16 October 2010

No comments: