Friday, February 20, 2009

Angela's wedding - rehearsal

Arrived in southern California this afternoon so as to be able to participate in the rehearsal for my niece Angela's wedding. Yes, of course, Angela Marie Boenzi, the first daughter of my brother Mario, will marry Tom (Edward Thomas) Higuera tomorrow afternoon. The wedding was originally scheduled for two months from now in April, but Tom's in the army reserves and his unit is being called up for service in Iraq in early March.

Thanks to email and especially facebook, Angela was able to communicate with me quite readily in the last few months. She kept me appraised of the changing situations, what with Tom's military posting and training changes. We were also able to consult regarding the liturgical needs for the nuptial mass itself.

And so I came for the rehearsal. Savio parish now has a team for coordinate weddings, and the wedding coordinator for Angela and Tom is Pam Parnell, whom I have known since the last millennium. This was the easiest time I have ever had in a rehearsal, since Pam has overseen everything and is very good at explaining everything to the couple, the wedding party, the mothers and the grandmothers, and to the priest too. And yes, this priest does not do too many weddings; I really am not that familiar with the comings and goings.

Ann Armijo Guevara (Angela's aunt, who is married to my former student Alain Guevara) took some photos during the rehearsals, and I post them here.

Mario walks daughter Angela down the aisle in the rehearsal: some comments and family humor are exchanged between them on the way… Tomorrow will be more solemn, no doubt.

Pam Parnell blocks out the actions for the rite as Tom and Angela approach the kneelers in front of the altar. I am all ears because I do not know how this will work out. In fact, I have never celebrated a nuptial mass where the couple kneels through the entire service. Pam explains to me that this pious practice was developed to preserve the bride's dress from wrinkles.

Rehearsing the exchange of vows: this will be the big moment. Pam blocks the positions of everyone in the wedding party; I use this moment for the final catechesis of the bride and groom because I know we will all be in a daze tomorrow.

No comments: