Friday, January 25, 2008

Return to Don Bosco Hall and Berkeley

The flight from Rome to Washington DC met with delays, as did the flight from DC to Los Angeles on 23 January. This morning the rain was tremendous (in fact, it was pretty strong all night long) and I was afraid that I would not get out of Los Angeles because of the bad weather. But we did take off, even if the captain of the jet had to detour to the south and to the east, and to come into San Francisco from the north... adding a half hour to the flight.

Marc Rougeau met me at the United Terminal, and we drove back across to Berkeley. We did a lot of talking on the way and I hardly noticed that we crossed the bridge. We were quite suddenly in Berkeley, and stopped for breakfast at Chester's (our favorite little breakfast place) on Walnut and Vine. We continued our conversation about the house, but mainly caught up on our own stories and news.

And now I am in Berkeley, and back at Don Bosco Hall. Roma, I miss you already, but I did not have much opportunity to visit your fountains or browse through your open-air mercato during this session. I needed to concentrate on the three courses that I was asked to teach. Next time, Roma, I promise you: I will be more sociable.

After a quick unpacking and hanging of my clothes, I went around the house to greet people: Arthur Lenti, John Rasor, Aldo Giraudo, Gael Sullivan the director.

My own laptop does not function properly so I am just adding these notes by way of a computer in the house at Don Bosco Hall. Tonight we will have the launching of Arthur Lenti's book series and meeting of all kinds of supporters. DSPT will confer on Arthur the Doctorate in Theology, Honoris Causa, and Aldo Giraudo will present the first two volumes of Arthur's seven-book series: Don Bosco History and Spirit.

Everything is ready at DSPT for this event. This is a day of celebration, and so is a good day to find myself back in Berkeley.

No comments: