Saturday, November 04, 2006

Bart to the airport


This morning Aldo Giraudo completed the last details with Arthur for the publication of his study on Don Bosco. At noon I accompanied Aldo to the San Francisco airport by way of the Bart. We got there at 13.35, checked him in and had some lunch. He was very encouraged that Arthur's writings will be a major contribution for Salesian studies and formation.

Along the route to SFO we spoke of my possible transfer to Rome. My concern has always been that provision be made to keep the ISS in Berkeley in a position to develop. However, I honestly wonder if I have anything else to contribute here. It may well be time for me to go, and let the Salesians of Calfornia provide the ISS with new instructors. What is absolutely necessary is that the Salesians here provide a support staff. Mary Greenan and I have been doing all aspects of program development and hospitality. We (or I) cannot keep doing all the house and business aspects and still deepen the study and reflection pieces.

Well, I was left with these thoughts once Aldo went through security and into the departure lounge of the international terminal. I headed back to Berkeley on the Bart. When I got home, Mary Greenan was cooking dinner, because our cook Marilu could not make it to work today. Point demonstrated: how does Mary prepare materials and deepen the programs if it is she who has to make the beds and cook the dinners too.

The California province of the Salesians needs to move from lip-service to real support of the ISS and Don Bosco Hall. Unless they do, then I will definitely make plans to move to Roma.

BTW, the dinner was excellent: pizza!

No comments: