At breakfast today one of the professors quoted Thomas Aquinas as we were discussing the riots in Paris and the demonstrations in Madrid (this fits the 8th point on the evaluation, that of "contemporary issues"). This young professor, freshly minted PhD in Philosophy who teaches Ethics, made the comment, "According to Thomas, the most efficient form of government is the Dictatorship".
Shrieks of horror from the students around me (I confess, I was busy reaching for the cream cheese, and was more concerned with not knocking over the coffee).
But the rebuttal came from the community director, also a Philosopher who in fact teaches Anthropology. "Yes, the dictatorship is most effective according to Thomas, but if you look at the world inductively, you will realize that 8 of the top 10 among the most developed economies in the world are Monarchies".
I found this very entertaining.
In these days I have been receiving e-mails from my colleagues at DSPT, and there is much concern about the accreditation of the theology school by the ATS (Association of Theological Schools). It seems that they continue to send many directives to our school, many of which are not so applicable. In the world scheme of things, where does ATS fit in? Dictators or Monarchs? No, they are too efficient for Monarchs. Viva il Re!
No comments:
Post a Comment