Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Traveling again


It is the second day of the new year. I've been with my mother in Bellflower for the holidays, where I could celebrate with family and life-time close friends. It is time now to begin my return trip to Europe, but I will pass five days in Berkeley to prepare for the Spring Term and to see my doctor(s). Well, they are not really "my" doctors, but I'm their patient. Sounds rather pompous to claim that I have a doctor or two really, when the reality is that I have to do what they say, and they don't do what I say.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I can even claim having students, if that is the criterion. They rarely do what I say and I'm always scurrying to help them come through a semester somehow. No, I don't have my own students, but there are many students who have me as a teacher, or perhaps as an instructor. I don't have a cat or dog either.…… but I don't think anybody can have a cat.

Hmmm, very philosophical, but I've just finished a cup of coffee at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), after going through TSA security. I will be boarding a flight for San Francisco soon, and am happy for the new year, for the avoidance of the fiscal cliff, and for all the good friends in my life, with whom I wish I could spend more time. This week in Bellflower has reminded me how important that really is.

No comments: